March 27, 2011

On the Reservation...

Although there are many types of reservations, since we have just read Montana 1948, this blog will be specific to Indian reservations.

I’ll admit, I don’t know much about Indians, but I do believe it’s politically correct to say Native-Americans. Growing up I spent much time at my Grandparent’s house, and they had a room we all called the “blue room”, and yes it was painted blue, we were incredibly creative. The Blue Room served as my room many nights, and it was decorated entirely in the Native-American theme. Not the trendy tribal theme that’s present today, but actual Native-Americans. Chief Joseph hung on the wall, along with many other paintings, there was an incredible amount of pottery, and blankets, I’m surprised we didn’t call it the Indian Room. My Grandpa immersed himself in history, and often the history of Native-Americans.
He often wore clothing with Native-Americans depicted on it, and most of the time there was a puzzle of the painting shown above on the dining room table. Due to all this, I grew up thinking that my Grandpa had some Native-American blood in him, but whenever I asked him he replied that he was American (his last name was Ray and my mom has told me he was German). Growing up, that was all I ever really knew of Native-Americans.

I still don’t know much now, which I am moderately ashamed of, but Montana 1948 was an incredible book.

No comments:

Post a Comment