February 13, 2011

Beat Street

I’m not going to lie, when McCarthy put on Beat Street however many weeks ago, I honestly laughed. What this had to do with anything, I still don’t even know, but between the outfits and the lingo, I just had to laugh. Since then Beat Street still makes me laugh, but I’m really enjoying it.

My favorite part of the movie is probably the fact that it’s entirely filmed in New York City, which if you know me well; you know that I absolutely love that city. Don’t get me wrong, I’ll always be a Chicagoan at heart, but there’s just something about that city that I love, other than the fact that my sister lives there, so being able to see all of the city and subway is spectacular.

I also like that all the of cast are trying to fulfill something different of early hip-hop culture, DJs, MCs, break dancers, dancers, graffiti artists, producers, the movie’s got it all. Beat Street has a love story, Kenny and Tracy, a young teenager, Lee, and a soon-to-be family man, Ramo, and it also has some kick-___ dance battles and rhymes thrown in.

I still laugh at Beat Street, like the Santa’s Rap (that I just found on YouTube), and mainly the lovely track suits, but I’m really liking the movie. After all, it’s like a heartbeat, Beat Street!

No comments:

Post a Comment