January 24, 2011

Short Stories

Throughout the beginning of the story, I was often confused, as to how one could recall the day they found out that they were colored, or why she was paid to sing and dance, or as to who Zora really was. I wasn’t really a fan of the story, but then it just clicked.

I absolutely love her perspective of the past of her people and the future ahead. Hurston accepts what has happened to her people, and even her grandparents, but also realizes that because since they endured this they paved the way for a better life for her, and she certainly won’t let that get away from her. She says that no one has a greater chance for glory, and she is at the center of a national stage and she will conquer all (figuratively of course, not the world and its entire people.) Even though she says that the man is “so pale with his whiteness”, which I can absolutely relate to, that’s not quite what I love about this story.

“Sometimes, I feel discriminated against, but it does not make me angry. It merely astonishes me. How can they deny themselves the pleasure of my company? It’s beyond me.” That, right there, is why, I love this. Not only does it confront the ugly truth, that there will always be discrimination, but Hurston puts a comedic light on it and realizes that it is not her fault. Basically she says “I’m absolutely wonderful, and if you don’t see that, well, that sucks for you.” It just makes sense.

After that, it just made sense and turned into one of my favorite short stories. I think it stretches far beyond your basic discrimination based upon race, but any discrimination or even simple disliking. It could be because you’re colored, or a woman, or fat, or because so and so told me that you said you thought my hair was ugly. How can you deny yourself the pleasure of my company? It’s beyond me.

No comments:

Post a Comment