January 6, 2011

Short Stories

We have read six short stories about what it means to be an American, written by five different authors from seemingly five different walks of life. I like them all for different reasons, and since I really have no idea what to write about, I'll write about why I like a few of 'em.

Children of the Sea - It was probably the connection between the two that drew me in, the idea that they would always write so it would seem as if no time had passed was... remarkable. I really don't even have words for it. It sounds completely corny though, but really, what else can you say about that?

We Are Ugly, But We Are Here - Although it was extremely sad and reminded me of what's happening in the Congo, it really made me think, you never really do hear anything about the women on the news, it's always the men being represented. Any 60 Minutes, or NBC Primetime about Iraq, or Haiti, or anywhere there's trouble, or rebellion, all you see is the men. You never hear about what's being done to the women, maybe because it's absolutely despicably wretched, and by maybe, I mean most likely.

This Sacred Soil - You could hardly call me a fan of this poem, however I deeply enjoyed his last two sentences, only thirteen words; "Dead, did I say? There is no death, only a change of worlds." I love the idea of this. I hate the thought of death, the idea of death, everything related to it. I hate losing people to it, but I always convince myself that they're not gone. It's similar to the idea brought up in WAUBWAH, that no one ever dies if you remember.

Six stories down, eleven to go, woooooo!

No comments:

Post a Comment